7/22/2012

Why Do I Do It? {Since It's Sunday...}

Today, I began my day with cinnamon rolls.
Nothing like yummy, fluffy, warm cinnamon rolls before church!
And while those luscious cinnamon rolls digested in my belly, I had a marvelous prompting.
That prompting was "Why do you go to church?"
I had never thought about it before and this is what I came up with:
When I was 16 years old, I didn't get asked to junior prom. I was devastated and cried for a week straight. The weekend of the dance, I didn't want to go to church. All my peers would be wearing their beautiful prom dresses to church & I wouldn't be. Which means everybody would know I didn't get asked. As an unconfident 16 year old, that was humiliation to the fullest. So, I decided that I would not be attending church that weekend. However, my wailing & gnashing of teeth didn't scare my father. He sat me down, looked me straight in the eye and asked: "Why do we go to church, Elisabeth?"
I wiped my nose and patted my cheeks dry. I sniffed and replied with a teenage sneer: "I don't know".
My dad shook his head & with his 'youbetternotmesswithme' voice, stated "You're going to church."
I. Was. Ticked.
I went to church, but I was not happy about it.

I look back on that experience now, however, and I can say I understand why my father made me go to church. I don't go to church to show off my beautiful prom dress or to socialize with all the Relief Society sisters. I go to church because I know that Heavenly Father lives. I know he loves me and I return that love by fulfilling my covenants & taking the sacrament. THAT'S why I go to church and that's why I will ALWAYS go to church.
{ Since It's } Sunday

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you through the blog hop! I have to say that your blog title makes me laugh out loud for real; it's perfect (and I can relate but that's another story)!

    I could never understand why my parents made me go to church when I was younger, either. It wasn't until some years ago that I finally understood first hand what all of those times I was practically dragged out of the house really meant. And I dread the day when I have to be that parent but I also hope that one day my future kids will understand it's importance as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love of our Father!! Perfect and Awesome! PS: Your blog title made me LOL too!!! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth, you always make me smile. :) Thank you for linking up such a fantastic post! Love ya, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post - made my heart smile. Found you at Live. Laugh. Rowe's hop. Excited to be following you, and hope you can visit my site soon.

    Have a great week,
    -Heather
    http://stringtownhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I think it's something that we all need to sit down and think about every once in a while. Thanks for sharing! :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this is so beautiful. That's a good father right there.

    Stop by and say hi sometime!
    www.dysfunctionaleverafter.com

    ReplyDelete