5/20/2013

Things I've Learned In College

1. I CAN get good grades!

(My Communication Research Methods group, I pulled a B+ in that class due to these amazing ladies)

I've always been one of those girls during high school who did the bare minimum in my classes and somehow pulled an A or B, but in college, you can't do that. If you do the bare minimum, you get a C-. This last semester, I vowed that I would get good grades and that I would WORK MY BUTT OFF to get them. And ya know what? I did. I got a B in one of the hardest classes I have ever taken. Holla back!

2. It's always better to go running, instead of eating at Chick-Fil-A


I kind of had a hard year and always ate a Chick-Fil-A to eat away my feelings. I always had a little itch in the bad of my mind as I stepped up the Chick-Fil-A counter that this was a bad idea and I should just go running instead. But I never followed through and now I feel like I've gained 20 pounds. Moral of the story: Don't eat at Chick-Fil-A so much.
Just go running.

3. You're not funny, except when you're with Naomi.

(Photo cred: Kaycie @ Red Head Memories)
Let's be honest, I am not witty. Sure, I can be funny sometimes, but witty is definitely NOT one of my strongest characteristics. I'm WAY better at being the sweet girl in the corner who makes cookies for everyone. However, I had a roommate this year who was the epitome of witty. Her name is Naomi and she made me be funny. Or...at least laughed at my stupidity. She made me have a lot more confidence in my sense of humor and let me know that I actually was pretty funny.

4. Boys won't like you if you're not yourself.

Before last year, I always tried to change myself to get someone to like me. This year I decided it wasn't worth it because the effort of trying to be somebody else is completely exhausting. I found that as I was just myself that boys asked me out a lot more. Talk about reverse psychology.

5. Family is so much more important than any friends you could ever have


I think this is the biggest lesson I've learned while I've been in college. I love making friends and going to parties. I thrive off of getting to know people and I'm a social butterfly to the max, but no matter how many friends I make or how many parties I go to, my family is the one who sticks by me NO MATTER WHAT. When I spent my money unwisely and needed some extra cash, who put money in my account? When I couldn't decide what major I wanted to go into and I called my dad frustrated and ornery, who told me that everything is going to be okay? When I got my first college job, who celebrated with me? My family. That's who! I love them more than anything and miss them while I'm gone.

6. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true!
I grew up in a Mormon family. In fact, pretty much everybody on my dad's side has their temple work done. My parents grew up Mormon and I grew up in a town that's even more Mormon than Provo. I always had a testimony. I really did, but I never understood what it meant to me until I moved to college. I remember one night my freshman year when I was having such a hard time. I can't even remember what about, but I knew that I needed some guidance in my life. I got down on my knees and I prayed. I prayed so hard and cried the whole time. But ya know? I knew Heavenly Father was there and he was listening through the ugly-cry moanings and sobs. Even now, my testimony is continuing to increase as I read my scriptures daily and walk in the way of Christ.

11 comments:

  1. Your blog is adorable and makes me happy--I love it! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! And I friggen adore that picture of you sitting under that cool geometric wall #superartsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great lessons to have learned. I still need to work on some of these! And I love that picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo I absolutely love this list. I learned all those lessons too. Each and every one of them. Especially the being funny with a friend part.

    But one of the things I absolutely LOVE that you said was boys won't like you if you aren't yourself. I learned that lesson pretty late. And I was finally my goofy perverted and silly self with Mr. Schroeder. Thank goodness.

    I'm glad Chick Fil A opened the year I left. The freshman 15 may have become The freshman 60.

    we&serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying out some new study methods with my homeschool-work, so I'm hoping they will help me to better understand my more difficult subjects, even though I know it will never be my favorite thing in the world. AKA: Algebra. ;)
    I love Chick Fil A, but I definitely echo the feeling that you actually *feel* better after running instead of eating something when I'm upset...guess I need to find a way to remind myself of that more often!
    I also believe it's true that boys will like you better if you are just you. :) I've never been asked out, but for right now, I think what's best for me is to stay single, so I have no problem with that. :)
    Wow, that was long :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you. And your blog. But I also love Chickfila. That is all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. Mostly. ;) Run AND eat at Chik-fil-a. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg!!! You know Jill!?!?!?!?! She totally lives in my stake!! I went to high school with her!! :) She's awesome!!

    Also, I've always wanted to bust my butt at school. College is hard and you can't do bare minimum and expect an A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am constantly calling my Dad like every 10 minutes with questions about everything. Hes basically the guy i call when im in public and cant talk to myself hahah
    x Eloise - Jazzlipsandtulips

    ReplyDelete
  10. but chic-fil-a IS better than running.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I ran-upon your blog! So Cute! I completely agree with #5. I came to realize that in only my first year at school! Great post! So glad I can now follow you!

    xx Lizzy
    LizzysLuggage.com

    ReplyDelete