10/23/2013

When All Else Fails

There's that moment in time when you realize you're kind of being a crappy person.
Not that you mean to, it just kind of happens. You slip into this weird comfort zone where you feel like you don't need to improve because ya know...you're already perfect, right?

Well...needless to say, perfection is far away. As it should be.
When I realized I was in this "comfort zone" per say, my first thought was "Oh, I can't change any of this. That's just how I am."



Next thought was this: (ready for it...)

HOLD THE PHONE!! 

People who have addictions change ALL THE TIME. People addicted to hard stuff too, not just coffee or smoking. Now, I'm not addicted to meth, but I am addicted to not working on my weaknesses.

So yesterday I had an epiphany of sorts. I wrote down all my weaknesses on a piece of paper (That was the hardest part...) and I made two columns. One said: Weakness and the other said: How to Fix It.

For example....one of my weaknesses is listening skills. I like to believe that I love listening to other people's problems and understand what my employer is trying to tell me on the first try, but I don't. I just want to talk about me. I feel like quite a few people are like this, but however normal that is, it's still a problem and needs to be fixed.

So...how am I going to fix this? I am going to flush out all thoughts about myself whenever I need to listen to someone. I am going to pay close attention to everything my employer or my friend is telling me and WAIT to respond instead of thinking of a response before their even finished talking. And there's going to be prayer. Oh so much prayer.

Because we are NOT our weaknesses. God gave us the ability to change for a reason. It's NOT easy and it WILL NEVER BE easy. But that's the beauty of life, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. I love that you ALWAYS post such uplifting posts about how to always better yourself and your life. Thanks for sharing!! This makes me think of this scripture: "A mighty change of heart is not something we experience only once. Rather, it is a process we repeat over and over throughout our mortal lives, and thus our light grows "brighter and brighter until the perfect day" (D&C 50:24)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! :) I think I'll work on one of those lists tomorrow! Great thought-provoking post :D

    xoxo, Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this so much! I'm a new blogger (kind of) and just found your blog through Life of Bon somehow.

    Alicia
    http://perfectingimperfectionblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete