11/08/2013

That Time When I Was Scared of Boys

Aww...I remember it like it was yesterday...my first boy/girl party.
It was a boy named Brad who invited me to his birthday party when I was 13 years old. He was the new kid on the block and every girl in school had a giant crush on him.
Brad's dad was doing landscaping for my family's new house so Brad was there every day to help.
I had just gotten back from shopping with my mom when Brad came up to me in my garage and asked me if I wanted to come.

I was ELATED. I ran inside to ask permission and then panted back to Brad to whole-heartedly tell him YES!

I was way excited because it was the first time I had ever gotten invited to something by a boy. 
I mean, this was a big deal. 

My mom helped me pick out my first (and only) gift I have ever given to a boy. We finally decided on some pop and candy tied together with curly ribbon.

The day finally came and I was SO nervous. I didn't know anyone else who was going to this party, so I braved it alone. My mom dropped me off and I met the party group at a movie theater in Rexburg that had a bowling alley.

What I saw when I walked into the theater was my worst fear...a giant group of boys.
I was the ONLY GIRL.

My little 13 year old heart began to panic. Why are there no girls? None of these boys are my friends. They don't like me. I can just tell in their eyes that they totally don't want me to be there. (Oh man...I was so scared....)  I set my present down on the table and tried to not be scared.

All the boys stood around the table were laughing and being boys while I didn't make a peep. Finally, they all decided that we should go bowling.

While bowling, I ended up getting a strike and no one noticed (which didn't bug me), but what DID bug me was that Brad's dad had to tell Brad that I bowled a strike and then he came up to me and tell me it was cool.

Oh our oblivious 13 year old minds! I totally don't blame him for not noticing, he was just hanging with his friends! But I digress.

I don't remember much of the rest of the day through my terror stricken demeanor. After we went bowling, I excused myself to go call my mom. I started bawling on the phone and wanted to come home, but alas my mother (being the good mom she is) told me to stick it to the man and have fun.

After bowling was done, Brad's dad drove us back to his house where I stayed for another four hours...miserable, disgraced, and hungry.

And that's the story of how I used to scared of boys.

Disclaimer: I'm totally not like this anymore, but it makes for a good story, right? 

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. You poor thing! Reminds me when one of my friends invited me to his wedding and I came down with his friends, and realized I basically crashed a bachelor party. The only lady there. My friend is an idiot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, the picture you chose to go with this made me laugh out loud. That scenario would have MORTIFIED me at age 13.....or several ages after that. haha. SERIOUSLY INTIMIDATING. I love this story.

    ReplyDelete