1/06/2014

Is it Fear or is it a Challenge?

I don't take risks.

Ever.

You know why? Because of fear.
That four letter word paralyzes my heart and stops me from doing the things I absolutely want to do.
I want to be an amazing social media marketer. Like...that's my dream!

But I'm so incredibly afraid. 
I feel so inadequate. I don't know everything about social media yet. Sometimes I don't even know where to look to see how many re-pins you get on Pinterest.

Horrible social media marketing status, right?!

I don't know how to increase likes or followers or get people to read articles or blog posts. I don't know html coding quite yet or how to set up a text messaging system. I don't know how to increase SEO. Plus sitting at a computer all day drains my soul a tiny bit.

It's not like I'm terrible at these things or don't have the determination to accomplish them, I'm just scared.

There is so much uncertainty. I want to work for a big company (like Oreo), but that's kind of a big deal and really, they're only going to hire the best. And I feel like I'm really bad at drawing and creating and coming up with new ideas.
It's really hard for me.

Although...I got thinking about fear (because this post has been floating around in my mind for the last month...).
Could I possibly turn fear into challenge? Instead of saying I'm afraid of something, could I switch my thinking and say it's something that challenges me?

In Matthew 19:26 it says that "...with men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

It might sound silly to bring in a passage of scripture for this particular moment, but really that's it! It's all about work and faith. How hard am I willing to work to be a fantastic social media writer? Will I take this fear and translate it into hard work? Will I have the faith necessary to accomplish my dream?

Then I got thinking even more...why would I ever want a career that's boring? Yeah, this social media thing might scare the living daylights out of me, but at least I'm being challenged. I'm learning and growing and progressing.

After all...isn't that what life is about?

4 comments:

  1. That fact that you recognize that fear is an opportunity to challenge yourself, means that you are already ahead of the curve. Do you remember that song that came out about 15 years ago call "Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen/Class of '99"? Besides the entertainment value, it is full of great life advice and one of my favorite lines is "Do one thing every day that scares you.". Sometimes just admitting out loud that you are afraid of something takes the edge off and makes it slightly less intimidating.

    I hate change, I loathe it. When change occurs I am mentally kicking and screaming while I go through it, and I almost always come out on the other side thinking "Oh hey, this is better" or "That wasn't so bad".

    When I was 19 I knew I had become complacent and didn't know where I was going and I needed a change. I packed my bags and bought a one way ticket to another country to try and get a fresh perspective on life and figure out what I should be doing with mine. The night before I left, I was sitting on my then boyfriend's couch. We were talking and laughing and he was promising to come visit when I got settled and telling me wonderful affirmations...and I had a sudden and complete meltdown/panic attack. The reason for the attack was that I was terrified but I didn't know how to express it, because I thought if I did admit to being afraid that would open the door to allowing people to talk me out of it.

    Once I recovered from the panic attack my boyfriend looked me square in the eye and said "I'm scared too, but I'm also hopeful because I know you can do this, and if you can do it, then that means I can do things that I'm afraid of as well. You're so much braver than I am." It made me feel slightly ridiculous for being afraid when I saw this big, strong man, admit to being afraid of anything. You know what happened? I got to Ireland and everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. But I met wonderful people, and I did amazing things, and I had amazing experiences that changed who I was as a person. I would not be the person I am today if I had allowed my fear to keep me on my boyfriend's couch and secure in my comfort zone. Ever since then I've made a point to look at my fears and my irrational self criticisms and then dive into what makes me uncomfortable until I either master it, or at the very least, learn not to be afraid of it.

    I'm not saying you should move to another country, but what I am saying is this: pick one thing, one little thing, that you're afraid of, then say it out loud to another person "Hey Sara, guess what? I'm afraid of html coding.". Then make a plan and dive in...take a class, practice on your own, find a mentor, watch videos, read books, and if it gets to be too much take a break and revel in something that gives you comfort...then go right back into the fray. We don't get better by practicing our strengths, we get better by practicing on our weaknesses...why perfect your already perfect chocolate pie, when you can tackle those croissants that always fall short of your expectations? You're braver than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing to remember is that we all experience fear. I definitely understand the kind that you are talking about. As a college student, I too understand that when you look forward at the career you are pursuing sometimes it can be so incredibly scary. But the thing to remember is that if you can dream it, you can do it. Fear is actually a very helpful thing. In many circumstances it acts as a warning system and other times you just want to punch it in the face. But in any case, it is important. Maybe fear helps you realize that you are, in fact, going in the right direction. If you didn't feel just a little bit afraid, I don't think you would be going into the right career and doing all you can for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have struggled with fear in my life. Here are some things that have helped me along the way:

    Hymn 128 "When Faith Endures"

    2 Timothy 1:7

    This talk by Pres. Hinckley-- http://www.lds.org/ensign/1984/10/god-hath-not-given-us-the-spirit-of-fear?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty amazing blog post because I can relate so well. Fear is always stopping be from accomplishing what I dream of. And I might try and change that this year. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete