6/19/2014

Sometimes Social Media SUCKS

Yes...that phrase just flew through my fingers and bolted onto your computer screen. Shock. Technically, I want to make a living out of social media so it seems a little hypocritical for me to be ranting about its uselessness. But it really does suck sometimes.

Mostly because it completely screws up conversations. It creates a trap that I (and many others I'm sure) have fallen into: the fear of face to face interaction. 

Now, I totally get that fear. Because when you're talking to a cute boy and your mouth gets really dry and you start stumbling over your words...it gets real embarrassing, real fast. Or when you want money from your mom so you don't talk to her about it, you just text her because you're afraid she'll say no. Totally legitimate fear.

But when does it end? I had a friend tell me once that he doesn't like talking on the phone because again...fear. But one time I called him to ask him a question and he texted me back like a minute later asking what I needed. So I made him call me because I don't know...THAT'S THE NICE THING TO DO.

My favorite is when I got in a huge fight with a friend a couple years ago...but guess what? It was over texting. Never once did I talk to her in person about it. She even wrote a blog post about me and tweeted about it too. 

Why does this happen?? Why don't people face reality? Literally. 

I can't tell you how much more it means to me when people engage in a conversation with me face to face. Why do I have to get to know somebody over Twitter, Facebook, texting or even worse Tinder? Can't there be a happy medium?

It's become a part of our daily dating routine: "I went on a date with him, but he hasn't texted me in like two days. He must not be interested." Nooooo...he's just being a normal human being! 

My mom told me a story about a year ago that brings up a good point. She was talking to a lady in my home ward who's son was seriously dating someone and considering marrying her. This boy told his mom that he wasn't sure if he wanted to marry her though because he never felt like he missed her when she wasn't around. The lady then told my mom that he didn't miss her because he was in constant communication with her 24/7 through various social media outlets.  

I believe this constant need to be talking to someone eliminates magic. It destroys the sweetness of seeing someone's face and experiencing a person's facial expressions and hand gestures. Did you know that non-verbal communication accounts for a large amount of a person's communication? (I believe it's about 80%, but I can't validate that statistic. So just go with it.) We've all communicated with someone before based solely on non-verbals. Aren't those conversations some of the best you've ever had?! My roommates are prime examples of this and it makes me laugh every time. 

By texting and tweeting and tindering someone, all that amazingness is lost. Think about it this way: you are only seeing 20% of a person by getting to know them through social media. How sad is that?! 

I, for one, would love to get to know at least 50 % of someone. And that can only be achieved through face to face interaction.

Now, social media doesn't completely suck or else how would be sharing my thoughts about this subject right now? But I think it's wise for me (and for others) to find a balance. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do that yet, but I'll find a way. All I know is that I'm sick of these seemingly real relationships that aren't relationships at all. So I'm going to bite fear in the butt and start talking to people. Are you?

6 comments:

  1. When I was married I had to finally refuse to text my then-husband because he took everything I sent him out of context, read in emotions that weren't there, and then he would pick huge fights and throw tantrums over things I never said or meant. Unless it's "Can you pick up milk on your way home?" or "What time is the movie?" I'd steer clear of texting, it isn't worth the hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this whole-heartedly. The art of conversation is lost. You'll find that person though. Alex and I never facebooked, tweeted, or instagrammed each other. We texted each other things like, "when can you hang out" and then we went and saw each other! Being in person was way better than anything else. You just need someone who recognizes that. They are out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! It's crazy how social media affects real life. I'm helping the new class of students at my school and was gonna start chatting with them when they all pulled out their phones. ALL 15 OF THEM. I realize I'm guilty of it too. But I've been working on making more of an effort to have real life in personal relationships that genuinally increase my love of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I got from this is we need to go get snow cones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with this! Social media definitely has it's place but there needs to be a balance for sure.

    ReplyDelete