10/31/2014

Does it REALLY matter what other people think?

I am going to be graduating in May with my bachelor's degree in Journalism and Communication with an emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing. 

Whew. That's a mouthful.

But let's discuss what that means. 
It means that I'm really good at knowing what most people want. 
It means I'm good at generalizing and publicizing things for the masses because I know what most people think about. 
I know how people work.


Now, obviously I'm not perfect at it because how could I possibly know what an entire population of people want slash think about slash need? But I have a really big weakness that helps me with this.

I care a lot about what people think.

This is more than just being a people-pleaser...I am genuinely terrified of what people think about me. 

As I get older, it's easier for me to brush it off. (Like my crazy freshman roommate...) but it's a huge driving force in my life. 

I often choose to go to parties because I don't want people to think I'm a party pooper. 
I help people with their social media stuff because I want people to think I'm smart. 
I read books because my teachers tell me to and my teachers are important people. 
I agree with people because if it means I can keep in their good graces then I will. 

This doesn't mean I'm fake. In fact, it means the opposite because I care a lot about what you think about me. 

But at what point does it matter?
Does it matter what people think about your significant other?
Does it matter what people think about you moving to D.C.?
Does it matter what people think about you wearing overalls?

Does it REALLY matter?
What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Clever, clever last line there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well FIRST of all.....judging overalls is nobody's business. NOBODY'S. *chokes off into a sob* ....back to commenting. I want you to move to DC. I want this so much for you. I just want you to have some big new awesome grownup adventure and you seemed so happy in DC. So those are my unsolicited two cents, but it's what I desperately want for you. Drive there in overalls. (No, you can't sit for too long in those things unless it's the exact right pair. Too much bunching and pulling.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other people's opinions can end up having real consequences for you if it involves something like job interviews, performance reviews, and things of that nature. But if it's just average day to day "What if he doesn't like my hair?" or "What if everyone stares at me?" then it only matters if you LET it matter.

    ReplyDelete