12/30/2014

8 Things I Learned In 2014


Life is hard work.
If you have talked to me at all in the last couple months, you will know how much I LOVE Washington D.C. I think it is the most beautiful city in the universe and I am determined to live there. But I know that's not gonna happen overnight. I see the path I need to take and it's going to take a lot of hard work. Heck, this whole semester was a lot of hard work but I'm so grateful for it.

I'm really good at making friends.
I mean always knew this about myself, but it's been incredibly prevalent this year. I've had to be friends with people I didn't actually want to be friends with. Which is really hard. Except I'm SO grateful for that gift. The gift of being a friend. I know dozens of people where talking to people takes a lot of effort and for me, it's something that's effortless because I love it so much. 

Family is everything.
So much has happened to my family in the last year: hard things, funny things, great things, and awful things. But through it all, my family has stuck together. They've showed me what it truly means to love someone. Because my family frustrates me to no end, but at the end of the day, I couldn't imagine not being with them. 

Boys are dumb, but also awesome.
I've dated really horrible boys who didn't treat me the way I deserve to be treated, but I've also dated outstanding boys who spoiled me and showed me what it means to be treated right. And my mother was right all along: it happens when you least expect it. 

I have the greatest friends in the entire world.
I've gone through some really tough stuff this year. I'm SO grateful for the type of friends who not only love me, but tell me the hard things. Friends who give me righteous advice, go on McDonalds runs with me and let me watch Criminal Minds with them endlessly. I remember one time I was really distressed about things that were happening in my life. I asked my best friends Sadie & Shelby what I should do and they told me to get a priesthood blessing. I mean....who has friends that give that kind of advice?? They're amazing! 

I'm thankful for tears. 
I'm gonna be honest, I don't think I've cried more in my life than I have this year. But I'm grateful for that. Crying has humbled me. The tears I've cried have made me empathetic, more caring and nurturing. More sensitive to the needs of others. It's amazing how much you can bond with people through tears. Everyone cries and needs comfort and when you can help others because of what you've gone through...that's what really matters.

Music is fantastic.
There was many a time when I screamed the lyrics to Really Don't Care by Demi Lovato in my car. Talk about a stress reliever.

My Heavenly Father loves me.
But through all the struggles, all the heartbreaks and all the parties and 30 Rock marathons, I know without a shadow of a doubt my Heavenly Father loves me. He has blessed me with SO much. I have felt the spirit so strongly in my life that how could I deny it? I've had to stand up for what I believe in and what I've been taught my whole life. This year has built my testimony more than ever. 

3 comments:

  1. 9. Cream cheese brownies are FAB-U-LOUs. Oh, wait. The world already knew that. :) Good list, Elisabeth. Very genuine, as always. :)

    ReplyDelete