9/14/2015

i got dumped & here's how i handled it

I woke up Friday morning to a text asking me what my idea of a perfect relationship was. I thought about his question while I got ready and commuted to work. I wanted to give a sincere, genuine answer. 

Then after some brief conversation, he said it: "I kinda think we won't date." (Thanks for that after eight months, pal) 

I tried to conceal my tears all during work that day. I told my coworkers I had a cold when I sniffed a lot and I listened to every sad song in the book. 

Then I spent $150 at Target and pounded McDonald's fries, oreos, and two large Dr. Peppers while I watched The Nanny. 

(If you're reading this wondering how you should deal with a break up, don't follow my example.)

I think what I really learned from the this complicated heartbreak was that I'm actually, totally, beautifully, miraculously okay



I've started training for a half marathon, I flew to Portland, I'm planning a trip for next year too. I take more time to focus on my job, I read books, and I plan lunch dates with friends. 

My dad is a psychologist and I was talking to him about it and he said something really important: "Break ups are a very natural and normal part of life. In fact, they're helpful and make you a better person." 

So I guess...thanks for breaking up with me, man. I'm a better person for it. 

If anyone wants to have lunch with me, let's plan it. 

5 comments:

  1. That's the beauty of life's roller coaster, eh? You're gorgeous and driven and your life sounds like an exciting adventure. And let's be honest -- it sounds like you handled that breakup like a champ. Sometimes I do all of those things without a stellar reason...or any reason. Here's to becoming an even better you! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the beauty of life's roller coaster, eh? You're gorgeous and driven and your life sounds like an exciting adventure. And let's be honest -- it sounds like you handled that breakup like a champ. Sometimes I do all of those things without a stellar reason...or any reason. Here's to becoming an even better you! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, aren't you in Salt Lake now?? Where at??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your dads advice! :) Heartbreak is never fun though :( But yay for doing things for you!!! That was the one thing I finally realized.... three years into the post high school/looking for marriage/dating game, right before I met Joe. And so I finally sat down and started doing things for me, with no, "what if I meet a guy in that time frame" type of things and I'm so glad that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww :( Sorry to hear about the breakup. Those are never fun, but good choice on pounding the DPs! I swear, that stuff is magic-tonic-water. (Put some marshmallow creme and stir it all together and it is TRULY magical.) What marathon are you prepping for? I've contemplated doing one, but the time in training for a whole 26.whatever mile run...well, it makes me think crazy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete