12/29/2015

Let's Talk About Heartbreak

I've spent the majority of 2015 laying in my bed, tears in my eyes, and my heart so hurt I can barely breathe.

I don't know if you've ever experienced heartbreak before. The kind that fills your entire soul and pours over into your life. You shake the covers off in the morning only to put them back on when a wave of sorrow hits your heart. It's excruciating and cruel and I don't wish this kind of feeling upon my worst enemy.

I've felt everything from anger to sadness to happiness to misery. It's like my period got a year-long extension on its assignment.

But I don't want to make this post about all the bad things that have happened to me this year. What I want to focus on is something I've learned.

My lesson didn't come until a couple weeks ago. I ended up running into a friend whom I love dearly. She embodies everything I want to be when I grow up. She's beautiful, funny, loving, and caring. She has a strong testimony of the gospel and her family is the most important thing to her.

As we were giggling like the 14 year old girls we used to be, I asked how starting her own family was going. She only had to look at me in tears and I knew life wasn't turning out the way she expected it to.

I couldn't help but cry with her. You see, while I've never experienced infertility...I have experienced loss. I have experienced life not turning out the way you plan. My heartbreak not only allowed me to understand what she was going through, but I actually felt what she was going through. I knew exactly how her heart hurt because mine hurt in the exact same way.

This connection only made me love my dear friend more.

All of us hurt and cry. All of us pull the covers over our heads to sleep off the pain. We all need someone to understand us and if I can help but one person feel like 'yes, it hurts but we're in this together'. Well then, I guess my heartbreak was actually the best thing that's ever happened to me.  

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I even felt connected to you and your friend because I have felt that kind of heart ache and pain.

    ReplyDelete