2/01/2013

You Don't Have To Be Skinny To Be Beautiful

Disclaimer: This is NOT a bashing on skinny people. This is my personal experience of how I've come to realize that I don't have to be skinny to be beautiful. 

I was talking to my roommate Naomi the other day about being skinny.
Neither Naomi nor I are skinny, nevertheless neither of us are overweight either.
  Many boys have called Naomi "thick", which (in my opinion) is just a nice way of saying fat and she was talking about how it kind of annoyed her.
We started bantering about being the way we are...
Naomi: Why do I have a butt?
Me: Why do I have to be so tall?
Naomi: Only black guys like me because of my butt.
Me: Only weird guys like me because tall girls turn them on.
Yada. Yada.

After our converastion I started picking out my outfit for the next day.
I pulled out my plaid shirt. No good.
I tried on my skinny jeans. No good.
I tied my wrap shirt around my waist. No good.
Man. What was my problem?!
Nasty thoughts began seeping into my mind:
If you were skinny, you wouldn't have this problem.
When you lose 20 pounds, then boys will like you regardless of what you're wearing.
Only skinny girls have it all...
Immediately I stopped.
WHY WAS I THINKING THIS?
This isn't healthy at all!
I came to the realization that you don't have to be skinny to be beautiful.
When you embrace your body for what it is...whether it be fat OR skinny...then you'll always be beautiful no matter how many pounds you need to lose or how many shirts get too tight.
It's all about self-awareness. It's looking inside yourself to say "You know what, I like myself."
It's a long process and it's not easy. It takes consistent effort.
But when you feel better about yourself, it's like you recharged your battery and you're ready to energize the world!
So...go. Do. BE!
And remember that regardless of what your size is, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

7 comments:

  1. I love this. I potentially say those same words on everything you post. But, let's be honest, I love it all.

    I really really do love this though. You know how passionate I am about beauty and self-worth. There seriously is something cool when you learn how to be beautiful in your own skin. And it's even cooler when darling friends post cool blogs to remind you of things like this that you really did know all along.

    Yep. You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister! Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, heights, curves, flatness-es, etc. There is no one set way to be beautiful. Preach it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing a post like this WITHOUT bashing skinny people. It seems that all too often people can't write about embracing ALL types of beauty, at the same time adding comments like "But only a dog would want a stick, real men want curves" or something similar, which is sad.

    And the whole idea that all clothing problems would be solved if only you were skinny is definitely a falsehood. The truth is that at my size (and there's tons of girls smaller than me!), going shopping is often very disappointing because so often, the brands that I like or the dresses I fall in love with don't even come in a size that would fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring. Love the new blog design too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. We all need to be a little less harsh on ourselves. And love the new blog design too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this. you are brilliant, and i totally agree. being tall is hard! but you'll find a hot tall guy like mine & everything will be ok (:

    ReplyDelete