As I was waiting for my class to start today, I was standing by a window on the third floor of the Engineering building.
From my view, I observed people entering and exiting the building.
I noticed so many different people and as I observed, I would pick out specific people to watch.
I wondered why I noticed those specific people and not the others.
I realized it was because they looked confident.
They looked like they had a purpose.
When I realized this, I began formulating 8 specific reasons how to have good self esteem.
Granted, I'm not perfect, but these are some of the things I do to help build myself up.
1. LISTEN TO POSITIVE MUSIC--This is a huge part of being able to feel good about yourself. Positive music makes me want to do a little jig as I walk to my public speaking class. It helps me feel good inside and it makes me want to spread that good to those around me. Listening to uplifting, happy, admirable music makes ALL the difference because you're simply blanketing yourself with positive thoughts, which in turn produce positive actions.
Some of my personal favorites are 22 by Taylor Swift, Kiss You by One Direction, and On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons.
2. PICK ONE THING ABOUT YOURSELF THAT YOU LIKE AND HIGHLIGHT IT---My ultimate tool in helping me have good self-esteem is focusing on one thing about myself that I like. Pick a physical aspect about yourself (hair, eyes, lips, etc...) and do everything you can to highlight and enhance that one aspect. Improving yourself and having good self-esteem takes time and by focusing on one thing at a time, this will ensure a good, solid foundation of self-esteem. Slash it creates way less stress. Personally, I try and highlight my height. It's always the first thing people notice about me, so trying to make myself look nice is a huge part in helping me have good self-esteem. Another example is my roommate, Naomi. She has bright red hair, so she highlights her hair so when people notice it, she can feel assured that she looks like a megababe.
3. LOOK UP--you never know who you'll see or what you'll observe when you simply lift eyes up from your shoes and take a look around. Someone or something can brighten your day and all you had to do was look up!
4. OWN IT--a couple weeks ago, I was talking to a boy about my height (because sometimes I'm self conscious about it) and he told me "Just own it!" So whenever you're self conscious about something, just think "I got this! I just gotta own it!" People will never notice that you're self conscious about something if you appear confident about it.
5. COMPLIMENT OTHERS--Tell people they're beautiful as often as possible. I know that whenever people compliment me, that just makes me feel so much better! Why not return the favor?! Besides, it feels good to tell people how amazing they are.
6. SELF EVALUATE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE--whenever I feel like I'm not up to par, I look inside myself to see what I need to change. Once I feel like I've become a better me, it always gives me the best confidence in the world!
7. SAY THANK YOU--Always say thank you! To everything and everyone. When someone compliments you, SAY THANK YOU! Not "Oh, my hair didn't turn out, but thanks" Just say thank you!
8. TRUST--everybody gets nervous around new people because we don't trust other people with ourselves. We don't trust them to be nice to us or to be kind slash gentle with our feelings. However, if you go into a situation thinking, I trust people to be nice. It'll make you feel so much better!